Believer Gathering Essentials
What does the Bible tell us about the essential pieces of a Biblical Believer Gathering?
1. A gathering where most believe and strive to help each other live out their Christian call – a place where all participants encourage, edify support, and correct each other [Rom 12;10, 1 Thess 5;11] — One Another Verses:Christians United in Christ – One Another Verses
2. Where all participants seek agreement, to seek one mind, the mind of Christ [1 Cor 1;10]
3. Where each person’s spiritual gift and assignment are sought after, discussed, and encouraged and developed. [1 Cor 12;7-13]
4. Where each person is encouraged to seek help and support from others. [Heb 3;13, 1 John 3;23]
5. Where the believer gathering commands are addressed and implemented. [1 Cor 14;26-40].
6. Where unbelievers are convicted [1 Cor 14;23-25]
7. Where those struggling thru trials or losing faith are supported and restored. [James 5;19]
8. Where the Gathering is kept pure [1 Cor 5;11]
I’ve numbered these background verses according to the above numbers. Take a look:
1. NLT Rom 12;10 Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. 11 Never be lazy, but work hard and serve the Lord enthusiastically.
1. NLT 1 Thess 5;11 So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.
2. NLT 1Cor 1;10 I appeal to you, dear brothers and sisters, by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, to live in harmony with each other. Let there be no divisions in the church. Rather, be of one mind, united in thought and purpose.
3. NLT 1 Cor 12;7-13A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other. 8 To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice ; to another the same Spirit gives a message of special knowledge. 9 The same Spirit gives great faith to another, and to someone else the one Spirit gives the gift of healing. 10 He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and another the ability to prophesy. He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit. Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages, while another is given the ability to interpret what is being said. 11 It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have.
‘One Body with Many Parts’
12 The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole body. So it is with the body of Christ. 13 Some of us are Jews, some are Gentiles, some are slaves, and some are free. But we have all been baptized into one body by one Spirit, and we all share the same Spirit.
4. Heb 3;13-14 You must warn each other every day, while it is still “today,” so that none of you will be deceived by sin and hardened against God. 14 For if we are faithful to the end, trusting God just as firmly as when we first believed, we will share in all that belongs to Christ.
4. NLT Gal 6;1-3 1 Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. 2 Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. 3 If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important.
5. NLT 1 Cor 14;26-37’A Call to Orderly Worship’ 26 Well, my brothers and sisters, let’s summarize. When you meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in tongues, and another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all of you. 27 No more than two or three should speak in tongues. They must speak one at a time, and someone must interpret what they say. 28 But if no one is present who can interpret, they must be silent in your church meeting and speak in tongues to God privately. 29 Let two or three people prophesy, and let the others evaluate what is said. 30 But if someone is prophesying and another person receives a revelation from the Lord, the one who is speaking must stop. 31 In this way, all who prophesy will have a turn to speak, one after the other, so that everyone will learn and be encouraged. 32 Remember that people who prophesy are in control of their spirit and can take turns. 33 For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the meetings of God’s holy people. 34 Women should be silent during the church meetings. It is not proper for them to speak. They should be submissive, just as the law says. 35 If they have any questions, they should ask their husbands at home, for it is improper for women to speak in church meetings. 36 Or do you think God’s word originated with you Corinthians? Are you the only ones to whom it was given? 37 If you claim to be a prophet or think you are spiritual, you should recognize that what I am saying is a command from the Lord himself.
6. NLT 1 Cor 14;23-2523 Even so, if unbelievers or people who don’t understand these things come into your church meeting and hear everyone speaking in an unknown language, they will think you are crazy. 24 But if all of you are prophesying, and unbelievers or people who don’t understand these things come into your meeting, they will be convicted of sin and judged by what you say. 25 As they listen, their secret thoughts will be exposed, and they will fall to their knees and worship God, declaring, “God is truly here among you.” Good And Bad Preachers, Know God’s Distinction
7. NLT James 5;19-20Restore Wandering Believers 19 My dear brothers and sisters, if someone among you wanders away from the truth and is brought back, 20 you can be sure that whoever brings the sinner back will save that person from death and bring about the forgiveness of many sins.
8. NLT 1 Cor 5;10-12 But I wasn’t talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. 11 I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don’t even eat with such people. 12 It isn’t my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning.
Please Help Us To Seek Your Mind and Your Will, in Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.
Here is a recording of the worship portion of a recent believer gathering: